Welcome to Hand-Multiplication!
Multiplication by hand-fingers is a novel, short-cut method for multiplication, that will kindles the curiosity of children. This method is ususally not taught in the schools. But learning this will help you do your calculations quickly. Throughout my lectures in various schools in the South India, held at over more than 50 places, involving more than 5000 students, it is the best part that the students of all ages enjoyed the most.
While the nine table multiplication by hand fingers attracts the lower classs students from 3rd to 6th standard and the multiplication between a set of 6 to 10 was verymuch appreciated by one and all.
Once understood, the students get so that start teaching this method to their friends.
Out of the 8 news paper coverages about me in TamilNadu, (The Hindu, The new Indian Express, The Dailay Thanthi, Dinamalar, Dinamani, and others) the photograph of teaching the HandMultiplication was printed. The file picture is also about the same ony.
This part of the “FUN MATHS AND MIND GAMES” drives away the “MathPhobia” among the students and attracted them to use them in real life when they are attending some competitions with the other schools.
Values of both
Here is how we multiply : 8 X 9
- Hold both palms facing you, with all fingers in stretched position, horizontally, both thumbs upward.
- To multiply take one number in left hand, and another in right hand and stretch the fingers from the little finger upto that value only and rest fingers to be folded towards the palm.
- To multiply 8 and 9, take 8 in the left hand and 9 in the right hand, and join the Left Middle finger (8) , with the Right Index finger (9)
- Fold the left thumb and index finger towards palm, and also right thumb
- Now COUNT the total fingers in stretched position (fingers joined in the top and below)
- (left three + right four =7 ) multiply it by 10 to get 70
- Count the leftover fingers in each hand separately (2,1)
- Multiply 2 X 1, you will get 2
- Add 5 and 7 above to get 70 + 2 = 72 , the required answer.
I hope you will find these information useful.