Welcome! My name is T. R. Jothilingam. I was working as a Station Superintendent in Southern Railways, in Kudal Nagar, Madurai, in South India & retired December in 2013. I graduated in Mathematics in 1974.
This website is an exciting collection of mind-boggling and fun-filled puzzles, and Mathematical diversions. I have collected some new ideas, which I hope you will find interesting. I hope this will help eliminate “MathPhobia” among students. Learn these simple techniques and implement them in your practical life and outperform others…!! This has proved to be useful for thousands of kids and students who have attended my workshops/ sessions. Here is a complete list of my sessions: http://jollymaths.com/my-sessions.
From my earlier days, I was curios about numbers. I began to collect Magic squares some ten years back, and started extending the concepts further from where I picked up. I have worked on a variety of novel puzzles including the Magic-square-inside-a-magic-square, biography magic squares, etc. I am currently conducting 2-4 hours session in Schools and Colleges on “FUN MATHS AND MIND GAMES”. Now I am working on pushing the concepts/ boundaries and setting Guinness World Records in the following fields:
- Magic squares from 3 x 3 upto any highest number one can imagine. (Additionally, I have also found out around 200 different ways of forming 6×6 Magic squares)
- Magic squares inside the magic square (5 x 5 upto 100 x 100 and programmed upto 1500 x 1500)
- World’s biggest Sudokus. Normally Sudokus are of size 9 x 9, having a total of 81 numbers. I have done a Sudoku with 400 x 400 (total 1,60,000 squares) which is the World’s biggest Sudoku. My Sudokus have additional properties in them.
- Multiplication using Hand fingers (in a set of 6-10,11-15, 16-20… 91-95, 96-100) and above. Also there are three different methods of multiplication using hand fingers.
- I can be able to multiply 75×75 in more than 10 different ways.
- There are many types of enthrilling special Magic Squares and some are compiled here for you. Hope you enjoy them!
I have two sons. My elder son, Dr. Ramnath Babu T J, has finished his B.Tech. (Mech.) at National Institute of Technology, Tiruchy, in Tamilnadu, India. He then completed his Direct Ph.D. in the department of Mechanical Engg., at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. He has Co-founded BendFlex R & D, a medical devices company with expertise in compliant-mechanism based design, based in Bengaluru.
My second son, Raghunath Babu T J completed his B.E. (E.E.E) at College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India. He then worked for BHEL, Bangalore. He pursued his MBA at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA). After a short stint at Axis Bank, he Co-founded BendFlex. He is currently working for Myntra.
My sons have helped me by convert all my ideas into computer programs that has helped me to reduce my computation time dramatically.
And all of this would not have been possible without the support of my wife Kokila, who has been a constant source of encouragement through my journey.
I hope you will find these information useful. If you have any suggestions or comments please email them to me.